Principles for Nether Edge Farmers’ Markets as Agreed by the Farmers’ Market Planning Group
- To provide an opportunity for local people to buy a wide range of high quality, diverse food.
- To provide a place where established stallholders, local craftspeople and others can offer their goods for sale.
- Offers a low cost route for local start-up business to reach many potential customers.
- Provides a huge boost to community cohesion and identity – a place to ‘meet, greet and eat’.
- Underlines the reputation of Nether Edge as a busy local shopping area.
- Helps local shops and cafes to survive and thrive.
- ‘Think globally, act locally’. Reduces ‘food miles’ and CO2 emissions by only offering products sourced locally, or from no great distance. Most market visitors arrive on foot, which is very rare for any big event.
- Offers an alternative to the tedium of supermarket shopping.
- Makes the streets of Nether Edge safer – people are ‘reclaiming the street’.
- Provides a direct, personal link between producers and consumers.
- Raises funds for local charities, in turn offering services and opportunities to different parts of the community.
- Provides a good local day out, for adults and children.
- Provides good quality free entertainment for the enjoyment of all.
- Is a crucial part of a thriving local economy, which will probably become more significant in times of economic hardship and rising transport costs.
- Has set an example which other parts of Sheffield have followed with our support.
- It’s put Nether Edge on the map!
Guiding principles for choosing which charities to support:
- Must be as local as possible, and/or benefit people of Nether Edge.
- Offers services, help or opportunities to local people, according to need.
- Is not a political or religious organisation.
- Is of a size that our contribution will be significant and appropriate.
- Is actually in need of funds.
- When choosing a charity, we will consider who has been supported previously, and will try to ensure that different sectors of the community benefit, over the course of time.
Click HERE for a list of Charities supported to date